Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How to Celebrate a Senior Birthday

happy birthday jaguarjulie from tagsforkids
Happy Birthday JaguarJulie
from Steve Thompson aka tagsforkids
How do seniors celebrate their birthday? Hmmm? Well, seniors tend to be old-fashioned type of people. Hey! Who are you calling old-fashioned?

"If the shoe fits, wear it!" they say.

It was two years ago, on July 9, 2010, that I actually filed for divorce and had the ex served with papers on the morning of my birthday.

I don't regret the filing,
But I do regret the timing!

One year later. On July 9, 2011, I was new into my home on the street that floods thanks to a clogged storm water drain. My next door neighbor reached out to me and took me to dinner for that birthday. For that particular warm act of kindness, I am eternally grateful to THAT neighbor!

So, July 9, 2012, was marking two years since the filing. "I must do something novel today," I mumbled. Up at the crack of dawn to work on my Squidoo lenses [call me crazy please]. Next, I headed out to my local HomeGoods store to sniff the scented candles. After my high, I headed over to Longhorn Steakhouse and had a delicious lobster and crab soup with a spicy peppered steak salad. I really wanted to order Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, but couldn't find it on the menu!

After lunch, I opted to take in a movie; ah, Magic Mike starring Channing Tatum. How to celebrate a senior birthday? Well, if you are a sharp senior gal such as myself, you might want to have Channing Tatum dance for YOU! My oh my ... mighty fine. Trust me, Matthew McConaughey had nothing over on Channing Tatum! Good thing I didn't need to adjust my pacemaker.

Once the magic ended, I headed out of the theater and over to my local Lowe's to buy me a sunflower plant. Would you believe that there were NO sunflowers to be had? I'll be checking back next week for sunflowers as I now have a rather sunny backyard thanks to the removal of 3 large water oak.

So, back home to work on my Squidoo lenses [call me crazy please]. "My dear, you are CRAZY!"

We [me, myself and I] were heading into the evening. I'd received no viable date offers from PlentyofFish, so I jumped in the roadster and headed over to Outback. Keeping in the spirit of Magic Mike, I was blessed with a most handsome young waiter by the name of Devon. "How old are you?" I asked. Twenty-two! Ah 22.

I wasn't really all that hungry so I asked if there was a lobster appetizer. I had a steamed lobster tail, some bread, and a skinny girl margarita. The lobster and margarita were delicious. Pretty soon I heard dessert coming. For my birthday, I got some tasty ice cream in chocolate sauce and a fine rendition of "Happy Birthday to you!"

And, that folks is precisely how you too can celebrate a senior birthday! Why not take yourselves out?

P.S. Did I tell you that Channing Tatum is looking mighty fine in the Magic Mike Movie. Oh and I will be imagining THOSE men at work in my backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment