Friday, March 06, 2009

Ah, Decorating With Orange, Yellow and Green Like My Grandmother!

Julia Nagy crochet afghanCrochet designs, especially crocheted afghans, were originally popularized by grandmothers. I remember many years ago growing up and sitting by the side of my grandma, Julia Nagy. She taught me how to crochet, and also gave me an appreciation for embroidery and lace designs. Grandma has been gone from us for a number of years, but I'm happy to say that I've kept her crochet afghan. I consider this item to be an heirloom item.

The other day, I began searching on Etsy to find a comparable ripple, scallop, or zigzag crochet afghan. I must admit that I was thrilled to see all the beautiful handcrafted afghans that are available. In addition, a number of Etsy handcrafters offer custom orders. Next, I took a look at what might be available through eBay. While there is quite a number of crochet afghans there, I wasn't as impressed. I kept finding MANY crochet afghans patterns and even found one that said it was "Marilyn Monroe Sitting." That seems odd to me!

Searching further on eBay, I was a bit "saddened" to actually find vintage or not new crochet afghans for sale. Speaking from experience, might I share a bit of my wisdom -- Please do NOT sell grandma's crochet afghan! Let me repeat myself, Please do NOT sell grandma's crochet afghan! If you no longer want it, please either put it in the attic or in storage or give it to another family member. This is an heirloom item that should stay in the family and be passed down!

P.S. I'm still looking for another ripple crochet afghan or two! Perhaps one that is black, green and gold and another that has complimentary colors to mine with more yellows! Got one? Well, leave me a comment and tell me about it. Can crochet one -- oh, better yet! A custom order. I like those.

Check out the Orange Yellow and Green in the Kitchen!

1 comment:

mrswade said...

I could crochet you an afghan for the right price. Feel free to check out my blog. I have several finished objects listed under the tag of Crochet. Let me know.

Post a Comment