Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunflower Plants at Thirty Seven Days

Happy Easter Everyone! I awakened to an overcast and misty Easter Sunday. Time to do the measurements! As of April 20th, it is over a month of history on my second sunflower garden. Today is the thirty seventh day.

Last night was the first night in several weeks that I didn't put down the protective covering of the weed barrier cloth. For 21 consecutive nights and days, I put down and picked up the protective covering. Without the use of the landscape cloth, I wasn't sure if there would be evidence of critters digging in the sunflower garden. Luckily, those digging critters stayed away on Easter Sunday, although I detected some evidence of a mole moving around under the garden.

Sunflower Garden Four Rows of Plants at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Sunflower Garden Four Rows of Plants at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Photo Taken: April 20, 2014
Check out those four rows of sunflower plants in my garden! Compare those to the sunflower seedlings and plants at thirty days. I think you can see a lot of growth in the past seven days.

SUNFLOWER PLANT MEASUREMENTS

My first measurement was to check the height. One week ago, at 30 days, the height was twelve inches. And, two weeks ago, at 23 days, the height was just six inches. How tall would the sunflower plant be at 37 days? Well, give a look ...

Sunflower Plant Height of Eighteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Sunflower Plant Height of Eighteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Photo Taken: April 20, 2014
That's pretty consistent growth in the height which has been averaging six inches per every 7 days. I think we will start to see a bit more growth from this point forward.

Sunflower Plant Width of Eleven Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Sunflower Plant Width of Eleven Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Photo Taken: April 20, 2014
The sunflower leaf width measured eleven inches, an increase of only two inches from one week ago. However, we are seeing a lot more fullness with the leaf spread and more leaves being added to the sunflower stems.

Sunflower Plant Width of Thirteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Sunflower Plant Width of Thirteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Photo Taken: April 20, 2014
Our measurement on the width across came in at thirteen inches, an increase of three inches from one week ago. The leaves are really filling out and starting to look like traditional sunflower leaves.

Comparing our three measurements:
  1. 23 days - 6 inches wide by 7 inches across by 6 inches tall
  2. 30 days - 9 inches wide by 10 inches across by 12 inches tall
  3. 37 days - 11 inches wide by 13 inches across by 18 inches tall
SUNFLOWER PLANTS TALLER THAN DECORATIVE EDGING!

You get a more impressive idea of how the sunflower plants are growing when you take a shot next to the metal decorative edging.

Sunflower Plant Height of Eighteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Sunflower Plant Height of Eighteen Inches at 37 Days ~ JaguarJulie
Photo Taken: April 20, 2014
It sure is rewarding growing your own flower garden from seed. When I contemplated my second sunflower garden, I didn't know what to expect. I have to say that I am extremely THRILLED at the "performance" of the Burpee Sunflower Seeds. I don't know that I would try any other brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment