Sunday, May 19, 2013

Celebrate the Sunflower Buds and Backs

You know, too often we celebrate the beauty of the sunflower blossoms [that are blooming like crazy] and then we forget about the buds and backs! Join me as we celebrate the sunflower buds and backs.

I've selected just two sunflower photos today to showcase the incredible backs of the sunflower blossoms.

Green Back of an Impressive Yellow Sunflower Blossom
Incredible Back of an Impressive Sunflower Blossom
Photo taken on May 12, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
You can see that there is quite a lot of greenery support in the back of the blossom as it attaches to the stem.

Here is another view of 3 sunflower backs -- originally featuring 5 blossoms, but cropped to showcase only 3:

Green Backs of the Three Impressive Yellow Sunflower Blossoms
Incredible Backs of the Three Impressive Sunflower Blossoms
Photo taken on May 12, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
Isn't that cool? Look at how those three sunflower blossoms are all facing towards the house, with their backs to us! I wondered why a plant blossomed in a particular direction. For me, I was quite pleased that more of my sunflower blossoms were blooming towards the house and my rear office window.

Impressive Sunflower Bud
Impressive Sunflower Bud
Photo taken on May 15, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
We think of the sunflower blossom as art, but the sunflower bud is equally artistic. I rather wish that I had a better digital camera because a lot of my bud pictures weren't good enough to share. What's cool on this May 15th bud photo is that you get some texture. You can see the furry stem and the delicate greenery comprising the bud which looks like a little cabbage head.

Artistic Sunflower Bud
Artistic Sunflower Bud
Photo taken on May 17, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
This is one of my favorite sunflower bud photos. I snapped the photo with a backdrop of gray vinyl siding. You can surely experience the tactile nature of the bud, stem and leaves. Feel the furriness?

Sunflower Bud from the Tallest Plant
Sunflower Bud from the Tallest Plant
Photo taken on May 17, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
What's interesting about this last bud? It comes from the Burpee Sunflower Seeds for Summer Evening Mix Warm Colors which are the tallest sunflower plants, exceeding 6 feet today. And, at $1.09 per seed packet, they were the least expensive sunflower seeds!

I'll be on the lookout for more amazing sunflower buds and backs, but I don't think I can top what I've shared. Not until I actually get a better camera!

Update: I think I can top that. Today I captured a couple more shots which are pretty special.

Sunflower Bud from the Tallest Plant
Sunflower Bud from the Tallest Plant - Take Two
Photo taken on May 19, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
It's an update on that bud ... you can see the blossom inside just peeking out ever so subtly in the middle of the shot.

Sunflower Bud from the Tallest Plant
Sunflower Bud on the Tallest Plant : How About That?
Photo taken on May 19, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
It's amazing how the tallest plant seems to have taken off with its growth. It actually is much like the up periscope on a submarine. All of a sudden, up it came ... surpassing the growth of all the other sunflower plants.

Awesome bud from Yellow Sunflower Blossom
Awesome bud from Yellow Sunflower Blossom
Photo taken on June 15, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
In this picture of the yellow sunflower bud just opening up, you can see that it is a multiple-head! I share that picture of the impressive dual head in my post on Pretty Yellow Sunflower Blossoms. What a feat of Mother Nature.

Awesome bud from Autumn Beauty Sunflower Blossom
Awesome bud from Autumn Beauty Sunflower Blossom
Photo taken on June 15, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady

Up next in our sunflower series: Colorful Autumn Beauty Sunflower Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment