Wednesday, September 24, 2014

How to Make a Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Want to learn how to make a perfectly tasty and delicious grilled cheese sandwich that is spicy too? It is a Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich that we are making because of the Jalapeno Cheese Bread.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheese Bread
I recently shared my personal recipe for Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheese Bread.

Now you can see how to make that spicy recipe right here. Get step by step instructions with photos!

My personal photos will guide you along the way so that you can't make a mistake. It's quick and easy to make that delicious lunch recipe. Time for you to kick it up a notch!

All photos and content copyright JaguarJulie.

My Personal Taste

Sharing my photos and my recipe for something a little spicy! After many years of preparing my favorite foods, I've found that I love to experiment. Sure, I will refer back to my recipes, but I will often vary the ingredients to suit my taste.

That's how I happened upon making this spicy sandwich recipe. You see, normally chefs will use American cheese to make their grilled cheese sandwiches. However, I don't usually buy that product ... in fact, I can't tell you the last time I did buy it. I don't like that kind of processed food.

So, on my recent trip to my local Publix grocery, I found a most unusual looking loaf of bread. Even the cashier had to remark about its appearance -- it was not your typical loaf. I've never seen Jalapeno Cheese Bread in the bakery previously. I like to try new things, so I decided to try it.

Continuing to do my grocery shopping, I came to the deli department and picked up one package each of the Publix brand cheese -- Colby Jack and Muenster.

I already had Kraft Miracle Whip dressing and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in my refrigerator. Now, to find the perfect day to make this delicious comfort food for lunch!

P.S. I WAS the Official Squidoo Comfort Foods Contributor! Did you know that? Well, you probably guessed it.

The Frying Pan!

Personally, I prefer teflon coated. For years, I have used various types of frying pans. For this type of sandwich, I definitely would recommend teflon coated!

The TeChef - Art Pan 11" Frying Pan, Coated 5 times with Teflon Select Non-Stick Coating (PFOA Free) / Induction Ready looks like one impressive frying pan at a great price.

It is coated 5 times with DuPont Teflon and is induction ready. A special bonus is the pretty purple color of Aubergine. They say that this color signifies glory, splendor, and a "pure joy of life."

Most importantly, there is no PFOA, cadmium, or lead in this frying pan.

Poll : Do You Like It Spicy?
We're talking about your sandwich! Do you like a grilled cheese sandwich that is spicy?
  • Yes I do!
  • I'm not sure.
  • No, I do not do spicy food.

ingredients for spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#1 - The Ingredients List
The most important part! If you are doing it like I do it, you will need these:

Jalapeno Cheese Bread
Colby Jack Cheese
Muenster Cheese
Kraft Miracle Whip Dressing
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

I am hoping to actually try making this bread. This was the first time that I actually tried it; I can say that I am hooked on the delicious taste. It also has a special aroma when you are frying it.

slice your bread for your spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#2 - Slice your bread
How thick do you like it? The first slice that I made was way too thick for a two slice sandwich. So, I went with my second and third slice which measured between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

Take a closer look ... can you see the bits of jalapeno peppers and cheese in those slices? That's the spicy part for this lunch recipe! The bread also has a good texture to hold up to grilling.

Poll : What Kind of Bread?
Which is your preference? For this type of sandwich, what do you use?
  • French
  • Whole Wheat
  • Old-Fashioned White
  • Healthy Grain
  • Jalapeno Cheese
  • Something else

butter your bread for the spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#3 - Butter your bread
I do both sides - how about you? In the past, I used to actually but my butter in the frying pan. And, once in a while, I would add a little extra virgin olive oil to the pan.

For today's version, I opted to butter both sides of my jalapeno cheese bread slices with my favorite "butter." It's I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

Do you use it too? I probably used a little more than a tablespoon and a half.

put buttered bread in frying pan for grilled cheese sandwich
#4 - Place buttered bread in frying pan
Start your pan on a medium heat On my electric stovetop, I have a Hi setting of 4 which seems to work pretty well for a good medium heat.

Occasionally, I will need to dial it down to about a 3 or 3.5.

My frying pan was already heating up as I prepared my ingredients and sliced and buttered the bread.

the cheese for a spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#5 - Select your cheese
Just say C-H-E-E-S-E if you please! This is another important ingredient since, HEY! the recipe name includes this, RIGHT?

How many of you have always used American? That's OK ... but maybe it's time to experiment. In today's example, I am using two slices of Colby Jack and one slice of Muenster.

I would have used one each of those and then added a third slice of Sharp Cheddar. Another suggestion is to make it a variety with jalapeno peppers like Monterey Jack.

Poll : Your Favorite Cheese(s)?
Bet you can't pick just one! Which cheese do you like for this recipe?
  • American
  • Cheddar
  • Colby Jack
  • Monterey Jack
  • Muenster
  • More than one of the above!
  • Something else

butter melted on bread for spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#6 - Butter melted on bread
Don't burn it! It should be a few minutes in the frying pan as you wait for your butter to melt on top of the slice. The underside should be getting a light golden brown.

You will flip your slices to get the other side to a crispy golden brown color.

Be careful not to over grill that bread!

colby jack cheese on bread for spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#7 - Add Colby Jack cheese to bread slices
I love the color of this ingredient!

This is one of my favorite cheeses that I can eat right out of the package.

So, the colby jack cheese really adds a lot of taste to this lunch recipe.

It also happens to be a great size for the slice of bread.

add muenster cheese to one slice of bread for spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#8 - Add third slice of Muenster cheese
It makes a difference! You know, it is great to have another tasty bite for this sandwich. I often pair this type of cheese with the Colby Jack in other recipes -- it works well here too!

Ideally, you get a good taste with two types of cheese and by adding a third, it puts it a little over the top. Experiment and see how you like it.

Try Optional Ingredients Inside! Kosher Dill Pickle Slices, Jalapeno Peppers, Chopped Onions, Kraft Miracle Whip Dressing, Your Favorite Mayonnaise

add kraft miracle whip dressing to spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#9 - Add Kraft Miracle Whip dressing to slice
No mayonaisse for me! Throughout the years, I have had a preference for Kraft Miracle Whip dressing. I don't know what it is, but I really do not prefer mayonnaise. I think mayo has a stronger taste.

When your cheese begins to bubble, and the other side of the bread is crispy and golden brown, add your dressing to one slice.

I definitely used a good tablespoon -- adjust it to your taste.

Poll : Mayo or Dressing?
Do you like a mayonnaise or are you a Kraft Miracle Whip lover? Which do you prefer?
  • Mayonnaise
  • Kraft Miracle Whip Dressing

fold over your slices for spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#10 - Fold over your slices into a sandwich
It's almost SOUP! You can almost taste it, I know!

Carefully fold your two slices of bread to make a sandwich in the frying pan. Don't worry if the cheese seems to melt out of the sandwich.

Sometimes I will flip it to make sure that both sides are crisp enough for my tastes. This looks perfect!

cool your spicy grilled cheese sandwich on a plate
#11 - Place your sandwich on a plate to slightly cool 
10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

When I got to this part and took my food photo, my tastebuds were drooling and I was thinking of a countdown.

You know, a countdown to that first big bite! Let your grilled sandwich cool just a moment before you slice it!

i love corelle bamboo leaf dinnerware ~ jaguarjulie

Corelle Bamboo Leaf Square Dinnerware Set
My favorite set!

Take a look at my food photos -- recognize the plate? Yep! This is what I have. The Corelle Bamboo Leaf Square Round 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 4!

You know, I actually bought two sets from Amazon and then sold one to a friend recently. The ex loved it so much, that he bought his own after I took mine! ;)

I've always preferred a square plate over round. And, I love the tropical pattern with the green bamboo leaf. Plus it's Corelle -- it will last probably longer than YOU!

slice your spicy grilled cheese sandwich
#12 - Slice your sandwich in half diagonally
Get a sharp knive for this!

You know, I might have sliced this right down the middle if it weren't for this article!

I wanted a pretty presentation so I went with a diagonal cut.

Now is the time to pair up this tasty lunch with some potato chips or perhaps a bowl of tomato soup.

Poll : How Do You Cut It?
The sandwich that is! Which way do you slice it?
  • Right down the middle!
  • I cut it on the diagonal like you.
  • Actually, I don't slice it.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheese Bread
#13 - ENJOY your sandwich!
Enjoy your Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheese Bread.

Why not try your spicy grilled cheese sandwich with some tomato soup!

Hey there all you sandwich lovers from around the globe. Don't be shy! Let us know you were here.

Have you tried this spicy? Got a favorite ingredient? Oh, please do share.

History: How to Make a Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich was originally created on Squidoo on April 21, 2014 by JaguarJulie. On April 21, 2014 this lens earned the Purple Star Award for quality content.

No comments:

Post a Comment