Monday, June 10, 2013

My 7 Foot Sunflower Garden

It is just a little over 3 months since I planted those Burpee sunflower seeds in my garden. Perhaps you have been following along in my sunflower journey. Or, maybe you happened to catch my May 17th blog post, Sunflower Plants Prospering in the Ground? In that post, I did a bit of time lapse photography on the growth of those sunflower plants.

As of May 17th, I had charted the growth to some 67 inches, or at 5 feet 7 inches. That was a smidgeon taller than me. Well, I wanted to update you on the growth since that time.

Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden May 25, 2013
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden
Photo taken on May 25, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden May 31, 2013
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden
Photo taken on May 31, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden June 2, 2013
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden
Photo taken on June 2, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden June 8, 2013
Sunflower Plants Growing in my Garden
Photo taken on June 8, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
This Spring, we have been fortunate to have more rain that we did in Spring 2012. The sunflower plants have responded quite well to all the rain. I've already cut off a good 36 sunflower heads for drying. And, I have many more sunflower blossoms replacing those that I cut.

On the right side of the garden, you can see the 7 foot sunflower plants. The tallest ones are of the Autumn Beauty variety.

I have previously reported how many of the sunflower blossoms seems to be pointed towards my house. How cool is that when I look out of my home office throughout the day, I get to see a sea of smiling, sunny and bright sunflower blossoms. Like these!

A Gaggle of Sunny and Warm Sunflower Blossoms
A Gaggle of Sunny and Warm Sunflower Blossoms
Photo taken on June 9, 2013 by JaguarJulie Ann Brady
Look at that array of warm colors! There are reds, oranges and yellows of such a rich variety of hues.

What's pretty inspiring is that many of the plants have multiple blossom heads at the top. I've been seeing a good many of buds that are popping out up the stems near the tops of the plants.

Multiple flower head of autumn beauty sunflower blossoms

I have selected one multiple flower of the Autumn Beauty and one from the typical yellow sunflower blossoms. Aren't those incredible?

P.S. Have you heard that I started The Sunflower Project on June 11, 2013. Sign up for your free sunflower seeds in this paying it forward type of project.

Oh, and by the way ... please do not steal my images and written content. It is not nice to scrape other people's original content for your own purposes. Why not consider being original yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment