Sunday, September 23, 2018

Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback

Today I learned of the sad and senseless story behind the tragic death of Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback RIP
Bruzzo the Dog
My sister first texted and then phoned me today to talk about some of the details. She had told me back in July about the fact that Bruzzo ran off whilst visiting with his family on the "pet-friendly" Madeline Island. Alas, it wasn't "pet-friendly" for poor Bruzzo!!

Much to do was done to try and find Bruzzo. This effort was supported by many compassionate people both on and off Madeline Island.

When I looked at this photo of Bruzzo, I remember remarking to my sister how he looks like a hunting dog. He is/was a very noble looking dog for sure. That made me wonder, how could someone shoot and kill a dog that definitely looked like someone's pet with a collar.

Before today, I literally knew nothing about this breed. Reading the Wikipedia reference on the Rhodesian Ridgeback, this breed has "previously been known as Van Rooyen's lion dog or the African Lion Hound or African Lion Dog — simba inja in Ndebele, shumba imbwa in Shona — because of its ability to keep a lion at bay while awaiting its master's arrival."

Some of the details that I can share: It was around 7:30am on July 7, 2018. Something caused Bruzzo to run off from the vacation cottage on Madeline Island where he had been staying with his family. The family was preparing to return home to Iowa. They searched and searched for Bruzzo, but had to ultimately leave, planning to return to the island as soon as they could to continue the search.

I first heard of Bruzzo's disappearance on July 9th from my sister. At that time, I Googled and searched on Facebook to see what I could find out. It seemed a large effort was soon in place, to search the island and contact all residents to see if there had been a sighting of Bruzzo.

Fast forward to September 23rd. My sister texted me and told me the sad news. Bruzzo had been shot and killed ... she had no further information.

I turned to Facebook and began searching for info on Bruzzo. It was on Facebook that I learned so much about what allegedly happened to Bruzzo. It seems that yes, Bruzzo ran off at 7:30am ... but was probably shot and killed some 90 minutes later by a long-time resident of Madeline Island. Allegedly, Bruzzo was shot because the resident claimed he attacked 27 chickens. That resident then hid the body.

Many are debating the veracity of the resident's claims. It's not likely that Bruzzo attacked the 27 chickens, but that there had been coyotes and/or wolves there before he arrived. Many are commenting about said resident shooting at dogs for many years; that it is a known fact he shoots at dogs. Some have commented on the amount of court cases against said resident.

Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback RIP
Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback RIP
Look at this photo of Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback. I think it is hard to miss what a beautiful dog he was. He had only entered his middle age and had so much more life to live. Bruzzo was Nick's first pet. I can't begin to describe the amount of love his family felt for him. Bruzzo was an integral member of the family.

Amy and Nick AND Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback RIP
Amy and Nick AND Bruzzo the Rhodesian Ridgeback RIP
It's all a sad state of affairs. There needs to be some fair-minded justice here. Bruzzo's remains need to be surrendered; there should be a forensic examination. The appropriate legal actions need to follow. This is not something that can be brushed under the rug!

I don't have anything more to add, at the moment, about this sad and senseless tragedy. Perhaps God will grant me some divine wisdom as I contemplate the state of affairs. RIP sweet Bruzzo! May you be chasing your tail and having a fine time up there in doggy heaven.

dog lives matter tshirt by jaguarjulie
Dog Lives Matter ... you know??
There was a closed group on Facebook, Justice for Bruzzo, with a number of Madeline Island residents as members. As you can well imagine, it got pretty hot and heavy in that group. I know the death of Bruzzo affected me greatly ... I can't imagine how it affected Bruzzo's family. This terrible tragedy is something YOU JUST DON'T FORGET!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment