Monday, August 21, 2017

Hard Apple Cider Review

I felt compelled to pen my review of hard apple ciders after taste-testing 4 different kinds recently. I've always liked a tart apple cider that we used to usually get in the Fall and at Halloween and Thanksgiving. I waited until I was a senior to try my first hard cider!

Stella Artois Cidre - Premium Hard Apple Cider
Stella Artois Cidre - Premium Hard Apple Cider
Ranking the four hard ciders, there is no question that Stella Artois Cidre comes in on top, in first place! Only recently have I seen the TV commercial with the three young people promoting the three different types of apples that go into Stella Artois Cidre. I normally drink Yuengling Light beer which seems to have a color profile much like Stella Artois Cidre. After tasting the other three hard ciders, it was instant love when I tried my first sip of Stella! It's tangy and seems to have a taste that bounces off the back of your mouth and back sides of your tongue. It is quite appealing.

Strongbow Gold Apple - Hard Apple Cider
Strongbow Gold Apple - Hard Apple Cider
The very first type of hard apple cider I sampled was Strongbow Gold Apple. Not knowing what to expect with the taste, I liked this one right out of the bottle. Comparing the color and body of the liquid with Stella Artois, it seems similar although Stella Artois seems more full-bodied. Strongbow Gold Apple gets my second place ranking. I would readily buy it only if my number one favorite is not available. On their website, you will find drink recipes which makes me want to try this in a martini!

Angry Orchard Crisp Apple - Hard Cider
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple - Hard Cider
My third favorite of the hard apple ciders is Angry Orchard Crisp Apple. I tried two varieties of Angry Orchard after I had sampled the Strongbow. It was probably a week or more between the tasting of this hard cider. Finding this variety in a dark bottle raised my expectations for the taste. I was satisfied with the Crisp Apple, but did not like it as much as the Strongbow offering.

Angry Orchard Tapped Maple - Hard Cider
Angry Orchard Tapped Maple - Hard Cider
Without any doubt, the Angry Orchard Tapped Maple was my least favorite of all the hard apple ciders. I guess I was happy to note that this is supposedly a seasonal offering. It was obviously the maple flavoring that did not agree with my taste buds. It actually had a very rotten top note that came with the first few sips. I thought, "ew, what the heck is that?" when I tasted it every time ... it was rather a chore to finish all six bottles. I probably should have returned it to Publix, but I thought maybe it would taste better when I got to that sixth bottle. At most, I would drink two bottles at a time and more usually just one.

Have you tried any hard apple ciders? Got a favorite? I'm wondering why I waited so long. I think I was almost there many times earlier when drinking my favorite hard drink, an appletini. My apple of choice is the Granny Smith as I like tart over sweet. If you've not had the chance to try a hard apple cider, may I seriously recommend you start with Stella Artois Cidre!

No comments:

Post a Comment